Knee injury swelling

Patient

Q: I hit my knee it swelled swelling has went down I have bruising on back of my leg and edema on frontn of leg any diagnosis or what to do?

Symptoms:  Edema bruising
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that you may have sustained an injury to your knee that varies in severity. Further examination by a doctor needs to be performed in order to know exactly what is causing the swelling. A fracture of the patella could lead to the swelling, torn ligaments, or even simple soft tissue contusion. This needs to be evaluated by a doctor in order for it to be treated accordingly.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com