Knee instability at the Gym

Patient

Q: Its not technically a knee pain but everytime I am at the gym, I will feel that my left knee is going to give out and is unstable, but whenever im walking around or playing hockey my knee is perfectly fine. I dont know if its in my head or maybe there is a problem with my knee. Usually it happens at the gym when Im lifting weight where it feels unstable.

Doctor

A:    According to your description it seems that you may have a problem with the ACL.The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of the most commonly injured ligaments of the knee. Injuries occur predominantly in a young and sports-active population. Approximately 70% of anterior cruciate ligament injuries occur through noncontact mechanisms. Patients experience giving way of the knee when attempting to rapidly change direction. This involves deceleration, coupled with a cutting, pivoting, or sidestepping maneuver. The remainder of cases tends to occur through direct contact and often is associated with other ligament injury. Following acute injury, the major indications for surgical reconstruction are related to the degree of instability and level of activity. The aim of surgical therapy is to reduce menisci injury by decreasing instability episodes. Activity levels can include sporting or work-related activities. Physical therapy is used to minimize pain and swelling (if you have any) and to regain range of motion and strength. Nonsteroidal medication combined with simple analgesia can be used in the acute phase for adequate pain relief (“Motrin”, “Aleve”). It is not convenient that you put weight or strain your knee with the symptoms that you described above , I strongly recommend you an evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon or Sports medicine specialist.