Knee joint popping in an active runner

Q: Knee joint popping injury (read info)? I'm 18 and an active and competitive runner, Just today I had a weird pop in my knee. It isn't painful (yet) but it is odd. The only way I can describe it, is like It feels like it is going to crack every time I walk, but it doesn't (kind of like a crick in the neck, but in this case, my knee) When I extend my leg, I can actually feel with my hand a bump go up and down in my knee cap. But there is no pain, or visible swelling? What is wrong with me? I may see a doctor, but I need a basic idea of what's happening?

A:    In the view that you are an active and competitive runner , you may be experiencing a kind of Repetitive stress injuries (RSIs) , these are injuries that happen when too much stress is placed on a part of the body, resulting in inflammation (pain and swelling), muscle strain, or tissue damage. This stress generally occurs from repeating the same movements over and over again. Areas most affected by RSIs are the hands, elbows, shoulders, knees, and heels. Symptoms of RSIs include: tingling, numbness, or pain in the affected area,  stiffness or soreness ,feelings of weakness or fatigue in the affected parts, popping or clicking sensation. If you notice any of these warning signs of RSIs, make an appointment to see a doctor. Even if your symptoms seem to come and go, don't ignore them or they may lead to more serious problems. Without treatment, RSIs can become more severe and prevent you from doing simple everyday tasks and participating in sports and other favorite activities. The sooner an RSI is diagnosed, the sooner your body can heal, so be sure to see your doctor if you have symptoms.