Ask The Doctor > Pending > Knee locking, suspected meniscal tear.

Knee locking, suspected meniscal tear.

Patient: I am due to have an arthroscopy and operation to repair a suspected torn meniscus. The MRI was inconclusive but my surgeon seemed to think that there would be a tear. I am supposed to take 6 months off from all activity and am unsure if I should go through with it as I am 18 and very active. How strict will the 6 months be? Also, is there anything else that could be causing my knee to lock in such a way? An X-ray was taken and came out as normal. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Symptoms: Knee locking shut with intense pain but fine after extension. Diagnosed with a meniscal tear but MRI was inconclusive. Due for a diagnostic arthroscapy and possible surgery to repair the tear.

Doctor: