Knee locks up and give out playing football and basketball

Patient

Q: I have knee probloms and i play football and basketball it locks up gives out and hurts 80 percent of the time squating, quick changes in direction and puting my weight on one leg give unbearable pain ...whats wrong with my knee? and i have athletes foot what's the best solution

Doctor

A:   Meniscus injuries are a common problem in sports and in young active individuals; they are the most frequent injury to the knee joint. The menisci are C -shaped fibrocartilaginous structures attached to the tibia and their main functions to enhance the contact between the two articular surfaces of the knee: femur and tibia ones. A reliable indicator of menisci lesion is a click or snaps after the joint unlocks, it may be or not associated with pain. A sensation of giving way may occur when the loose fragment becomes lodged for a moment in the knee joint, causing a sense of buckling. Spontaneous healing is common because of the rich blood supply in the menisci periphery. Successful recovery from a menisci tear is helped by a gradual resolution of symptoms over 6-8 weeks with a return to normal activity by 3 months. With time the symptoms tend to improve, but  If there is no significant improvement you should get a clinical (orthopedic surgeon) and Imaging (MRI) evaluation of your knee.