Knee meniscus tear

Patient

Q: HI, I've had a knee injury . MRI impression shows: " a complex nondisplaced tear of the mid part to posterior horn of the medial meniscus is demonstrated." What does it mean excatly in your opinion? Is there other healing method then surgery? Thank you S.

Doctor

A:   The meniscus is an important part of the knee joint. It helps in absorbing and distributing forces on the joint during strenuous activity such as running and jumping. A tear in the meniscus decreases these vital functions. Some doctors may give a trial period of conservative management for such injuries but most meniscus injuries fail to heal without surgical intervention. From your MRI findings, it seems your tear could be treated satisfactorily by surgical repair followed by graded physical therapy. This is the best option.