Knee pain 2 years after surgery

Q: 2 years ago I had surgery to remove a cyst that was causing dead bone around it, growing inside my knee. They checked out my ligaments and said they looked good. The doctor went in through the PCL drilled out the cyst and filled the hole with a phosphate paste. The surgery went well and I had been fine for a long time. The last two months after playing basketball for a few hours my knee becomes extremely painful, and it feels like I have lost some stability in the knee. Is there a need just to strengthen my knee or could it be a cause for concern?

A:   Knee joint instability stems from injury to one or more ligaments. You may have suffered such a injury while playing basketball. It may have been a single incident or have occurred from repetitive trauma. Whatever the case, you need to have your knee examined by an orthopedic surgeon. He/she will also likely get x-rays of the joint. Depending on the severity of the injury, treatment may involve simple rest along with appropriate pain medication or surgery to repair the ligament.