Knee pain after a fall from a ladder

Patient

Q: Fell off ladder knee stiff and swelling put ice on knee need to know how long to appied ice or heat and how long in between cant walk very good should i try to walk

Doctor

A:   Acute knee pain after an injury and related symptoms may be caused by damage to one or more of the soft tissue structures that stabilize and cushion the knee joint (including the ligaments, muscles, tendons, and menisci). If it is an uncomplicated knee injury, with conservative treatment you have a great chance to improve, anyways if you notice one or more of the following symptoms: inflammation, remarkable limitation on flexion-extension movements, locking of the knee, or instability, the next step would be an evaluation by an Orthopedic Surgeon. But if this is not the case, the suggested strategy would be: protection (avoid activities or movements that reproduce the pain), rest, local ice packs for periods no more than 15 minutes each time the first 24 hours, and after, local hot compresses, and anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: Aleve, Advil). The healing time is different for each patient but generally there is a progressive improvement during the next 4-6 weeks after the injury.