Knee pain after ACL reconstructive surgeries

Q: My left and right knee have had two full ACL reconstructive surgeries on them. I always feel pain in both of them still even though I did lots of rehab. I can barely walk some days without it swelling up. Is this the start of arthritis forming in my knee?

A:   You do not disclose when was the surgery, for how long you did rehab and if you are overweight, in the view of the vague of your question I will try to give you some pointers. First of all, if you are overweight, you have to get an evaluation by a nutritionist, so you can as soon as possible begin a diet that help you to lose weight,  because It is a very well-known fact that the sustained overweight and lack of exercise can cause problems in the weight bearing joints like Knees, Hips, Ankles and also Lumbar Spine.  Combine the prescribed diet along with a consistent exercise routine, for example, try walking every day at your own pace, emphasize ROM(range of motion) exercises for the knee , and strengthening quadriceps. For the pain management: you can take anti-inflammatory medication and also try more physical therapy. You will have to get yourself going again, after the surgery ,  little by little, you have to be patient and consistent with your rehab process.