Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Knee pain after forced bending going down a slide

Knee pain after forced bending going down a slide

Patient: About three days ago, I was playing with my kids on a slip and slide. I attempted to go down the slide with my knees bent at my side. My right leg (leading) slid but my left leg (trailing) did not more and twisted as my body tried to continue down the slide. Lots of pain initially. I moved around ok after the pain subsided. Later that evening the pain got worse and I soon could not bear weight. Everyday since then it’s gotten better, but I still have moments of a lot of pain and swelling. I have no insurance, can you help?

Doctor: Knee pain is the most common presentation of patellofemoral syndrome The pain typically is located behind/below the kne eecap and often shows during activities that require knee flexion and forceful contraction of the quadriceps (ei, during squats, bicycle, ascending/descending stairs, jogging or pendants, prolonged kneeling). Pain may be worsen by sitting with the knee flexed for a long period of time, such as while watching a movie, hence leading to the terms “theatre sign” and “movie-goer’s knee.” The causes are diverse: Overuse (repetitive use or activity), overloading, and misuse of the patellofemoral joint. The suggested strategy for conservative treatment should be as follows: Physical therapy program (exercises and pain control with TENS, ultrasound, ice packs after exercises), anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “Aleve”, “Advil”), education  so  you understand which activities avoid because those can aggravate patellofemoral syndrome. Also, and very important, remark the need for extended adherence to the exercise regimen. The physical therapist should educate you about a home exercise program. Allow time for these conservative measures (ei: exercise program) to have an effect, usually 4-6 weeks is adequate for some resolution of symptoms.