Knee pain after jumping for 2 hours

Patient: I recently went to a trampoline facility where I jumped vigorously for about 2 hours. It was pretty intense on my knees as I can do many different kinds of flip combinations (I’ve been jumping on trampolines my entire life.) By the end of the session, my knees were somewhat sore, but the pain was not severe. The next day, however, the pain was quite intense. It is very painful to bend the knees while putting my weight on them (i.e., squatting, going down stairs, etc.) It has been a week now and the pain has not subsided. I thought it was “runner’s knee,” but I don’t have any grinding sensation; just pain that feels like it’s inside my leg closer to the back of the knee. What is this pain? Why haven’t I ever gotten it before? How can I make it go away? Additional info: 6’1″ tall 155 lbs

Doctor: Possibly you are experiencing the consequences of “overuse” on your knees. Repetitive stress injuries (RSIs) are injuri njuries that happen when too much stress is placed on a part of the body, resulting in inflammation (pain and swelling), muscle strain, or tissue damage. This stress generally occurs from repeating the same movements over and over again, with no enough healing time so they are also called “overuse syndrome”. The concept is that overuse injury is associated with repeated challenge without sufficient recovery time, and this is true for any sport or activity in which you exceed the guidelines and your own limits or capacities. Overuse injuries or repetitive motion injuries make up over 50% of all athletic-related injuries seen by doctors. Simple everyday actions, such as throwing a ball, scrubbing a floor, running or jogging, can lead to this condition. The most common types of repetitive motion injuries are tendonitis and bursitis. The suggested strategy would be:  using a heating pad in your knees for periods no more than 15 minutes each time during the day, limit activities that produce pain or discomfort, and to control the pain you can take anti inflammatory medication (such as “Motrin” or “Aleve”). The healing time is different for each patient, and also depends on the severity of the initial injury.