Knee pain after months of the injury

Patient : I had a knee injury around October of last year. I was playing soccer and I was knocked down in mid air and I landed completely on my left knee. It immediately became very swollen and was very painful and hurt to walk. I went to an Orthopedic the next day and they took xrays and an MRI. Nothing torn or broken came up on either one. I did have lots of fluid on my knee for about a month and the doctor could not explain why when I would ask him. The fluid is gone now but I still have discomfort and pain at times. I am still playing soccer and sometimes it hurts sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes I feel like the ligaments or something in my knee is tight and it hurts. If I press the top of my knee it hurts. Could it be the impact thats still causing knee pain or could I have torn a ligament or hurt my meniscus and didnt show up in the MRI?
Doctor :   If the MRI showed no torn ligaments or damage to the meniscus you should be okay. The most important thing to prevent sw elling around the knee is to put less stress on it. The only way to do this is by building muscle in the surround areas such as your quadriceps, calves etc. Stretching and flexibility in these areas is also very important to help prevent swellling. Make sure to also ice your knee for 15-20 minutes after all physical activity. The best thing you can do is hire a strength and conditioning coach to help you build a stronger lower body. Hope this helps.