Knee pain after overusing it.

Patient

Q: Hey, my name is Christian, I'm from Romania and I'm 18 years old. Two years ago, a piece of my kneecap broke as a result from a torsion movement from snowboarding.At first, my doctor suggested that I should try and use my knee while the piece is still in there. That didn't work out, and I got surgery to take the piece of bone out.
This whole period from the accident to getting the surgery lasted about 2-3 months, and the whole time I was relying on my other leg, at first with crutches, and then slowly starting to walk with my bad leg, but still masively relying on my right leg. It is worth noting that the right leg was double the size of the left leg from the muscle atrophy that was due to not using it.
I was protecting the left leg too much, and my right knee started hurting from all the pressure I've been putting on it. It started hurting really bad inside, on the exterior side, a pain that when you feel, you know that something is not right.I could barely walk for about a week, and I thought I had broken it too. I went and got an ecography, but nothing was showing, nothing was broken, but it was hurting like hell. Eventually it passed, but it never really felt as strong as it was before.
Now, 2 years later, I've been going back and forth with pain in my both knees, coming and going. My left leg is stronger now, due to leg exercises, but still about 70% of my right leg. While my left leg is getting stronger, I feel like my right leg is more and more shitty. The same spot started hurting when I was punching my boxing bag about a week ago, not nearly as bad, but it made me limp a bit. Two days after, I went to a friend's house, and when climbing the stairs, I felt a painful pop in my knee, in that same spot, but that gave me a feeling of relief in the knee somehow when the pain stopped. That's just one example, when I was at the gym some months ago and I wanted to strenghten my left leg with some squats, somehow my right leg ended up hurting. It's popping, feeling uncomfortable and hurting on ocasions when I try to do some sports.
I really don't know what to do, I've developed a habbit that whatever I do something that envolves leg work, I use the right leg more. Now that I realise it, I'm trying to stop it, but it might be too late. I need some advice.

Symptoms:  Pain, popping, uncomfortable feeling.
Doctor

A:   Hi,
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You are having knee pain. You are advised to do quadriceps exercises regularly with both knee. You can get your vitaminD level done and if low you can take vitamins D3 supplements. You can take analgesic for pain relief. You can further investigate yourself by MRI of knee joints to further investigate it in detail.
Hope your query get answered.
Wishing you a good health.
Take care.