Knee pain after pregnancy

Patient

Q: I have been experiencing knee pain over the last few months. I had my first child 6 months ago, and gained a total of 38lbs during the pregnancy. I started working out with a trainer doing 30 min high intensity interval training 8 weeks after delivery to lose the extra 25lbs. My knees were already bothering me at that point when sitting down and standing up but I assumed that would go away as I lost the weight and gained strength. However, now with only a few lbs left to lose, the knee pain is worse, to the point where I'm having trouble doing exercises like squats and lunges; any kind of impact exercise like jumping jacks, is completely out of the question. Aside from difficulty exercising, it is now painful to straighten my knees after sitting crossed legged.

I'm 36 yrs old - could this be something age related? Or just a side affect of hormonal changes and extra weight from the pregnancy?

Symptoms:  Knee pain during and after exercise and stiffness when sitting cross legged.
Doctor