Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Knee pain after scooter fall

Knee pain after scooter fall

Patient: I was riding a scooter at night. I made a dumb mistake and rode it down a hill. I got scared and tried to walk off the scooter. Well, I fell off and never landed on my feet. I landed on my right knee. I scraped never had any pain in or on my knee. Now, its May and I often have a dull, achy pain in my knee. The pain usually starts after my knee is bent for a long period of time or if I am sitting for a long period of time. It doesn’t hurt when I walk on it though. Should i be concerned or see a doctor?

Doctor: Knee pain is the most common presentation of patellofemoral syndrome in young and active people. The pain typically is l ocated behind the kneecap and often shows during activities that require knee flexion and forceful contraction of the quadriceps (ei, during squats, ascending/descending stairs or pendants). Pain may be worsen by sitting with the knee flexed for a long period of time, such as while watching a movie, hence leading to the terms “theatre sign” and “movie-goer’s knee.” The causes are diverse: Overuse (repetitive use or activity), overloading, and misuse of the patellofemoral joint.The suggested strategy for conservative treatment should be as follows: Physical therapy program (exercises and pain control with TENS, ultrasound, ice packs after exercises), anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e.: “Aleve”, “Advil”), education of the patient so  he/she understands which activities avoid because those can aggravate patellofemoral syndrome. Also, and very important, remark the need for extended adherence to the exercise regimen. Your physical therapist should educate you about a home exercise program Allow time for these conservative measures take the desire effect.