Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Knee pain after slipping on a hill

Knee pain after slipping on a hill

Patient: I slipped on a hill and first my left ankle turned out and when i went to step down on my right ankle it to turned out. But now the area right above my ankle on the achilles tendon and all the way to my knee ache. I can move my ankle and it is not too sore to touch by there is swelling in my lower leg. I however limp right now and if I twist my leg it hurts behind my knee cap. I just would like to know if that is a leg strain to be concerned about. Today is Tuesday and this occured on Sunday night and it is hurting worse now than before I have been icing it at night and take ibuprophen.

Doctor: According to your description of the pain, behind the knee, without instability, maybe it is an uncomplicated trauma of the knee which with relative rest and anti-inflammatory drugs has a good chance to improve in few weeks. But if you have persistent inflammation and pain along with remarkable limitation on flexion and extension associated with instability of the knee other post trauma conditions should be ruled out such as: injuries of ligaments or menisci, if this is the case the strategy would be: evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon and decide about perform some imaging studies to diagnose and decide the best treatment option.