Knee Pain After Surgery

Patient

Q: I had a complex tear in my medial meniscus, I had surgery 9 weeks ago and the majority of my meniscus was removed, it was fine after the first 2 weeks but now it is quite painful sometimes. Also when I run it swells up, as 16 year old athletic person this is quite annoying. Should I go back to the surgeon?

Symptoms:  Pain rather constantly, very uncomfortable, swelling when running
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Yes, we do believe that you should return to your surgeon for an evaluation. After a meniscus surgery, the recovery period is generally about 8 weeks of non-weight bearing activity, along with physiotherapy. The pain and swelling you are experiencing could be due to the fact that adequate healing has not taken place. In fact, meniscal injuries and their surgical repair can take months to fully recovery from and it is important to take proper precautions to reduce swelling and pain. We are not certain if you have sustained re-injury of your knee joint or if this swelling and pain is due to inadequate healing. Please follow up with your doctor as soon as you can.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com