Knee pain after surgery and overweight

Q: Back in August my husband fell in the shower landing on his right knee, he has been seeing an orthopedic doctor since the fall, has had X-ray's done, MRI, and even arthroscopic surgery in which the doctor found a couple of tears in the cartilage he smoothed them out, however he is still having excessive knee pain cannot put full weight on it, since the surgery they have done a cortisone shot as well as a serious of cushioning shots(not sure if this is correct spelling) however not is helping any suggestions as to what could possible still be wrong, he weights around 300 lbs, works as a police officer and cannot get back to work until he is basically pain free.

A:    Firstly, he must lose weight, because he is overstressing the knee joints with the excess of weight, secondly he should have completed a rehab program aimed to control pain and inflammation and help him to recover the functional range of motion of all knee movements, and also instructed him with a exercise routine to be done at home to strengthen the leg muscles, especially the quads. I advise you that your husband get a dietician or nutritionist counselling to lose weight and get a re-evaluation by the surgeon to determine if he may come back to physical therapy to control pain, inflammation and improve the knee range of movements.