Knee pain after tweaking the joint

Patient

Q: Thanks in advance.

I've sat on my legs (think 180 degree bend at knee) my whole life, no problems. Recently, however, I injured one of my knees while "plopping" down, on it while sitting down. Think of it like folding my left foot under my right butt cheek (so medial side of foot contacts butt). I did this often with no problems, but I felt a twinge recently, which began to occur every time I did this. Naturally, I switched sides, and started doing the same thing on my other leg. Fool me twice, shame on me, because then I felt the same thing in my other knee.

Fortunately, I just didn't sit on my legs for awhile, and the problem went away. Recently though, I re-aggravated one of my knees. It was the same "plopping down" motion that injured it (because who thinks about sitting down consciously?). Now it aches right behind the front of my kneecap almost 24/7. Not enough to cause me pain or discomfort, but I definitely notice it. .

While none of the traditional exercises that should irritate my knee do so (like squats, stairs, walking, running, jumping), it does ache all day. Also, when it is fully flexed with any type of lateral strain (such as sitting cross legged), it hurts worse and worse the more strain I put on it. The other motion that makes it hurt like heck is pulling. The best example I have is sitting in a chair with wheels and pulling yourself across a room. That motion REALLY makes it hurt. Same place, right behind the kneecap. If it helps, I don't really have any weakness in the joint, nor is any part of the knee particularly tender or sore to the touch.

I plan to go to the doctor if it doesn't subside, but any idea on a potential diagnosis?

Symptoms:  Knee pain right behind knee cap when certain strains or motions are applied to knee. Dull ache during the day.
Doctor