Knee pain and back pain after lifting effort

Q: I have been having pain in my left knee, only after I have been lifting alot. I have had back pain as well, but now my leg also goes numb.

A:    Possibly during the effort of lifting you injured your knee and your back: muscle strain. Usually this occurs when the back muscles have been stretched and/or overloaded beyond normal limits, commonly known as a muscle pull. If you have a lumbar sprain, your ligaments have been pulled apart resulting in spasms in the lower part of your back. Regardless of which type of strain you have, the course of treatment for both is the same. You will experience inflammation, spasms, lack of mobility all these insure limited movement. To go to a chiropractor is one of the treatment options for an uncomplicated muscle strain in the back, meaning when there is no nerve damage or compression, muscle rupture documented by MRI. They may teach you  useful exercises to stretch the muscles in the spine, that you can repeat at home as a routine and after, apply ice to the sore area for no more than 20 minutes each time; you could also alternate warm moist compresses with ice packs. If after follow all of the above you still experience the pain associated to some other symptoms, like numbness in the legs then I would recommend to visit an Orthopedic doctor to rule out some other more serious causes of the back pain.