Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Knee pain and ovarian cyst or cancer

Knee pain and ovarian cyst or cancer

Patient: They recently found a 10cm complex ovarian cyst that the radiologist has labeled as highly suspicious. Ca 125 test are normal but they are removing cyst next week as they are worried it could be malignant. I’m also having terrible knee and lower leg pain can this be related to cysts or ovarian cancer?

Doctor: It is difficult for me to tell whether your knee pain is related to the complex ovarian cyst. Ovarian tumours can be div ided into three main groups: functional, benign and malignant. In relative frequency, functional cysts account for about 24% of all ovarian cysts, benign cysts 70% and malignant 6%. Though metastasis can occur, it is highly unlikely to affect the knee. Your knee pain may probably be unrelated to your present problem and would have to be examine by an orthopedic surgeon.