Knee Pain and Stiffness Following a Fall

Patient

Q: Fell over in dec and hurt my knee quite bad didnt see a doctor it swell up and couldnt wall at all the next day had a limp for 2-3 weeks and pain. since then pain has gone but when i get up in the morning i still have stiffness in it have i damage something should i see a doc?

Doctor

A:   You should have visited a doctor at the time of your injury because our bodies start healing naturally almost immediately following an injury. So, if after an injury (fracture or a ligament tear), the parts to be healed are not placed in alignment as early as possible, they would heal in whatever position they remain. It seems that your fall most likely caused a fracture of the patella bone (knee cap) which may have almost healed over this time. This healing fracture may be the reason for the stiffness and rigidity in your knee.
You need to see your doctor to assess the present condition of your knee followed by physiotherapy to try to restore the full range of movements in your knee.
You should have visited a doctor at the time of your injury because our bodies start  healing naturally almost immediately following an injury. So, if after injury (fracture or a ligament tear), the parts to be healed are not placed in alignment, they would heal in whatever position they are placed. It seems that your fall most likely caused a fracture of the patella bone (knee cap) which may have almost healed over this time. This healing fracture may be the reason for the stiffness and rigidity in your knee.
You need to see your doctor to assess the present condition of your knee followed by physiotherapy to try to restore the full range of movements in you knee.