Knee pain around the patella tendon

Q: I am a soldier in the army and i have been having minor knee pain for just about a full year now. I have been to physical therapy twice now for muscle strengthening and my knees are continually getting worse. Applying pressure to the gas or break pedal in my car and just walking up stairs is starting to become a nuisance. As well as everyday movements. Nothing really relieves the pain except not moving it. Whats wrong with my knees?

Symptoms:  Aching at random periods of the day, or after movement near the patella tendon. Occasional sharp pain on the side of my knee right around the knee cap. worse after physical exercise