Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Knee Pain Associated with a Meniscus Injury

Knee Pain Associated with a Meniscus Injury

Patient: About 6 months ago, I suffered a knee injury while playing basketball. A week ago I took an MRI and my Orthopedic told me I had slight swelling on my meniscus. I’m very active, always playing some type of sport. When I exert excessive force with that knee, I feel a slight but sharp sting under my patella. Is this something that could possibly be corrected with surgery or will a month of non physical activity alleviate the pain? I’m looking to get into some weight lifting and do not wish to carry a heavy load with a bothersome knee. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Doctor: If the meniscus injury is minor it may heal with conservative treatment. Conservative treatment includes rest, ice and p ain killers such as diclofenac. This course of management should be coupled with physical therapy. However, It may take longer than a month before you recover. You should allow a minimum of 6 weeks before restarting any sporting activities and even then you should do so cautiously. If you are still experiencing discomfort after this period then surgery may be necessary.