Knee pain due to a fall that broke my ankle severely

Patient : I severely broke my ankle back in August. I had surgery and had to have a steel plate and 11 screws put in. A couple of weeks after the surgery I noticed my knee was hurting really bad and it looked like it was starting to turn inward as well as my foot turning outward. I injured it in a fall. My knee went under me but I didn't notice any symptoms until my ankle pain was less. Now that I am beginning to walk on my crutches I have noticed a lot more pain and my knee almost looks deformed. I have tried telling my dr about it but he won't even look at it. What do you suggest? And thank you.
Symptoms:  Pain, difficulty walking, and swelling
Doctor :   Hello, Welcome to Ask The Doctor. You might have got knee ligament injury. Ligament involved can be Anterior or Posteri or cruciate ligament. I would advise you to get MRI Knee done. If ligament injury is found on MRI, you will require arthoscopic repair of the ligament. Till then apply diclofenac gel locally and do hot fomentation of the knee joint. If you have any further query, please ask me. Stay Healthy.

Related Q&A

Q: My name is Carlton Jackson. My date of birth is April 3, 1955. In the spring of 1973 I hyperextended my left knee w...

Q: I ama 68 year old female who has been very active. Have not been exercising during last month due to cataract surger...

Q: My daughter was playing volleyball and dove/slide in for the ball. She said it hurt her right knee. But she was outsi...

Q: My knee is severely swollen (size of a grapefruit). I had an xray which was normal. It hurts a ton on the inside of m...

Q: When i went up the stairs i got knee pain as if its twisting on the inside. INtense pain for at least 5 minutes cant ...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon