Knee pain during cold weather

Patient

Q: When the temperature gets colder my knees start to hurt, so bad that i start limping, is there anything i can do to relieve the pain?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. You can take oral analgesic medication to alleviate this pain temporarily however, it is important that you have your knees examined to determine the cause of this pain. This type of pain is commonly associated with arthritis and should be evaluated promptly by your physician so that you start treatment of this accordingly. You may need to have x rays and MRI imaging performed on your knees to help your doctor elucidate the cause of this pain. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com