Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Knee Pain episodes in an active 54 years old man

Knee Pain episodes in an active 54 years old man

Patient: Recently I have been experiencing intermittent knee pain. It will start hurting and for several days I can hardly bend the knee or place much weight on it. It is as if it fills with fluid and begins to ache. The pain is so bad I cant bend down to do my work on computers. Then for no apparent reason it will go away for a while. Am I just getting old? Im 54 and quite active.

Doctor: The prepatellar bursa is a superficial bursa with a thin synovial lining located between the skin and the patella. Norm mally, it does not communicate with the joint space and contains a minimal amount of fluid; however, inflammation of the prepatellar bursa results in marked increase of fluid within its space.  The recommended treatment would be: after the initial period of rest, physical therapy is started to regain any loss of Range Of Motion, while increasing the flexibility and strength of the quadriceps and hamstrings. Your PT should emphasize postural education on the avoidance of painful movements, especially kneeling, and use of kneepads if kneeling is necessary.