Knee pain for two weeks

Patient

Q: Hi i have been to the doctors twice in the last 2weeks but nothing getting done. my left knee is really sore even when i walk it clicks everytime i bend it and now its sore to touch the doc said its a ligerment but the knee is really sore to touch i cant kneel down at all. i have notice my wrists keep hurting to and i keep getting sharp shooting pain down my back, can you advise me what to do thanx

Doctor

A:    Possibly the problem in your knee may correspond to the most common presentation of  Patellofemoral Syndrome. The pain typically is located behind the kneecap and often shows during activities that require knee flexion and forceful contraction of the quadriceps (during squats, ascending/descending stairs or pendants). Pain may be worsen by sitting with the knee flexed for a long period of time, such as while watching a movie, hence leading to the terms "theatre sign" and "movie-goer's knee." The causes are diverse: Overuse (repetitive use or activity), overloading, and misuse of the patellofemoral joint. Also would be important addressing the “Click” and if it is associated with instability, blocking or locking of the knee and rule out a possible menisci or ACL problem. The suggested strategy for conservative treatment, in your case, should be as follows: Physical therapy program (exercises and pain control with TENS, ultrasound, ice packs after exercises), anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “Aleve”, “Advil”), education about which activities avoid because those can aggravate the patellofemoral syndrome. You should practice consistently a home exercise program. Some lifestyle changes may help you to improve the symptoms: weight loss and exercise: Regular exercise may help you to strengthen the muscles and also potentially stimulate cartilage growth. Please, allow time for these conservative measures (exercise program, medication) to have an effect, usually 4-6 weeks is adequate for some resolution of symptoms. Also would be important addressing the “Click” and if it is associated with blocking or locking of the knee