Knee pain : Grade 1 Meniscus Tear

Patient: Dear Doctor I injured my knee from a jump three months ago but I have only being resting for one months the pain has eased but when ever I try to do simple leg extension especially when I’m bringing my leg back down from a extension it hurts badly and I feel pain little down from patella I cannot clime stairs or bend down and when I can clime stairs I got physical therapy for two weeks can I take this dietary supplements Glucosamine and Chondroitin with MSM. In mri it shows subtle high intenisty signal in the posterior horn of medial meniscus suggestive of grad 1 tear If there is pain it means the meniscus has not healed If I put weight on it will it never heal do I have to go complete bed rest to heal the meniscus cause I’m only walking just to my toilet to my bed for one month it has helped but how long I have to do this Please Help Me Thank You

Doctor: The menisci are C-shaped wedges of fibro cartilage located between the tibia and femur, and very close related to knee ligaments and attached also to the joint capsule. They are susceptible to get injured with leg rotation movements or rotational forces applied to them, and the lesion produced can be partial, as your case Grade 1 tear, or complete tear. Meniscus injuries are common in young and active people as you, who are involved in sporting or physical activities. Locking or buckling is a common symptom after a meniscus lesion develops Spontaneous healing is common because of the rich blood supply in the meniscus periphery. The successful recovery from a meniscal tear is helped by a gradual resolution of symptoms over 6 weeks with a return to normal activity by 3 months. Many meniscal tears heal spontaneously, this might be your particular case with just  a Grade 1 tear. Also, can be treated with casting depending of the severity of the tear. With time the symptoms improve. If there is no significative improvement you should get a clinical (orthopedic surgeon) and Imaging (MRI) evaluation of your knee.