Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Knee pain in a really tall former football player

Knee pain in a really tall former football player

Patient: I am a 34 year old male that is 6 feet 9 inches tall and I am having trouble because my knees are starting to really hurt carrying all the weight as I’m close to 270 pounds. I used to play college football and now I’m still healthy and slim but have really bad knee pain. What could I do?




Symptoms: Swelling in knee

Doctor: Thank you for your question. There could be several causes for your knee pain. Given your size, and the fact that played a high impact sport such a football, you may be suffering from tendinitis of the knees. This is inflammation and pain in the tendons of the knees, leading to symptoms similar to yours. Furthermore, another possible cause of this could be due to osteoarthritis of the knees. This occurs when the cartilage protecting and lubricating articulation of the knee joint breaks down leading to bone on bone articulation. This would result in pain, and inflammation of the knees. We recommend that you consult your doctor to undergo a full evaluation of the knee pain. Furthermore, it would be wise to have an MRI performed in order to determine the cause of this pain. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for consulting


Ask The Doctor
Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Toronto. He currently operates Infinity Health Centre, a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

View all posts