Knee Pain in a Snowboarder

Patient: Hi. I am 16 and am 5ft 5in, I weigh nearly 12stone. I have fallen over when I went snowboarding and my knee has hurt ever since (since a week) there is a broussard but it is like the size of a 10p coin. But it hurts when I put pressure on it. What’s wrong?

Doctor: Direct blows to the knee may produce injury of the ligaments, menisci, bones or capsule, but if there is no significant swelling or deformity, and no limitation on the active movements (flexion, extension), a fracture or dislocation can be ruled out. Also if there is no instability or locking a menisci lesion may be ruled out.The suggested strategy for the initial treatment includes: use of local ice, rest, elevation of the leg, anti-inflammatory drugs (as “aleve”) and the use of a knee immobilizer. If all these directions are followed, then the normal function should return in few days, but if the pain, swelling and limitation on the movements persist an Orthopedic Surgeon must re-evaluate the injured knee.