Knee pain: Osgood-Schlatter's treatment options

Patient

Q: I have osgood schlatters disease in my knees, I have had it since I was 10 and I am almost 18 now, I am very active, I squat 355lbs and run as often as I can. The pain always comes back. How much longer will I have to suffer and do I have to lighten up on my workouts.

Doctor

A:    The Osgood-Schaltter disease is the painful lump below the kneecap in children or adolescents that are going through the growth spurs. It is seen most often in boys that participate in sports like: basketball, soccer, and in girls who practice ballet, figure skating, volleyball.  During these activities the quads tendon pulls the insertion to the shin bone, and this kind of repetitive stress cause pain and swelling in the area below the kneecap. This condition tends to resolve by its own once the bones stop growing. Usually gets better without formal treatment.