Knee pain: Osteoarthitis and loose bodies

Q: I have developed right knee pain .X-ray report says changes of osteoarthrits and losse bodies in knee joint.What medicine is recommended.I am 61 and diabetic and hypertensive.

A:   Meniscus injuries are a common cause of knee pain; they are the most frequent injury to the knee joint. The menisci are C -shaped fibrocartilaginous structures attached to the tibia and their main functions to enhance the contact between the two articular surfaces of the knee: femur and tibia ones. The thick outline of menisci allows for a firm attachment to the joint capsule. Based on your imaging report, you have osteoarthritis and intraarticular bodies presents, these come from a meniscus tear. Sometimes we can wait spontaneous healing of the meniscus lesions because of the rich blood supply in the meniscal periphery. Successful recovery from a meniscal tear is helped by a gradual resolution of symptoms over 6 weeks with a return to normal activity by 3 months. Many meniscal tears heal spontaneously. Also, can be treated with casting depending of the severity of the tear. With time the symptoms improve. If this does not happen, because you have intrarticular bodies in the joint space, then the surgical option may be considered, and definitely after surgery you will experience a significant improvement of all the symptoms. In the meantime, you could use anti inflammatory medication (as “Aleve”,”Motrin”) to control pain, if you have any.