Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Knee Pain: possible Patello-Femoral Syndrome

Knee Pain: possible Patello-Femoral Syndrome

Patient: I have knee pain on the top of my right knee for about two months now. It gets worse with squatting and daliy activities such as walking down staris and i do walk quite a bit at my job. Recently the underside back of my knee is hurting and my knee also pops when i bend it. When i stretch my knee out it is a severe pain and feels very stiff. Also when i move my foot now in certain movements it causes my knee to hurt. There is no swelling that i can tell and no redness just some popping felt and it almost feels like its grinding when i move my knee. just wandering what this could be and what i should do?

Doctor: Knee pain is the most common presentation of patellofemoral syndrome in young and active people. The pain typically is located behind or at the top of the kneecap and often shows during activities that require knee flexion and forceful contraction of the quadriceps (ei, during squats, ascending/descending stairs or pendants) . Pain may be worsen by sitting with the knee flexed for a long period of time, such as while you are playing as a catcher, watching a movie, hence leading to the terms “theatre sign” and “movie-goer’s knee.” The causes are diverse: Overuse (repetitive use or activity), overloading, and misuse of the patellofemoral joint. The suggested strategy for conservative treatment should be as follows: Physical therapy program (exercises and pain control with TENS, ultrasound, ice packs after exercises), anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e.: “Aleve”, “Advil”), education  so  you understand which activities avoid because those can aggravate patellofemoral syndrome. Also, and very important, remark the need for extended adherence to the exercise regimen. Your physical therapist should educate you about a home exercise program. Allow time for these conservative measures make any effect and improve your condition.