Knee pain post arthroscopy

Patient

Q: I had arthoscopic knee surgery 2-3-12 for a torn meniscis and I have osteoarthitis. I could walk before the surgery with minor pain after about 15 mins. After the surgery it hurts way worse. I can hardly walk with out pain. Is this normal? Should I get a second opiniun?

Doctor

A:   Usually for several days after arthroscopy, you will generally be asked to rest and elevate the joint while applying ice packs to minimize pain and swelling. After surgery, an exercise program is gradually started that strengthens the muscles surrounding the joint and prevents scarring (contracture) of soft tissues. A degree of pain is expected at the beginning but you have to continue and after few weeks as you regain range of motion and strength the pain will go away. The goal is to recover stability and strength of the joint rapidly and safely, while preventing the build-up of scar tissue. This program is an essential part of the recovery process for an optimal outcome of this procedure. I suggest a reevaluation by your doctors in order to plan the next steps in your physical therapy and rehab process.