Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Knee Pain (Swelling?)

Knee Pain (Swelling?)

Patient: Hi. Whenever I start to do anything physical, I get extreme pain in my knees near my patellas. Sometimes I can rub them and put Icy-Hot on, but they still usually hurt afterwards. Also, whenever I squat down to get something, my knees make a cracking sound the whole way down. I was wondering if this is normal and what I can/should do about it.

Symptoms: Knee pain

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you are experiencing a condition known as patellar tendinitis in your knees. This is due to inflammation of the patellar tendon which connects the patella (knee cap)to the tibia (shin). This diagnosis can only be confirmed with further physical examination and diagnostic testing such as an ultrasound or MRI.This condition once diagnosed can be treated with physical therapy and stretching, wearing knee braces while exercising, and topical corticosteroid creams applied to the affected area. Please see your doctor to be further evaluated to determine if your symptoms will improve with these treatments.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com