Knee Pain: What to do and What Not to do

Q: Out of no where yesterday the back of my knee started hurting and continued today. I work with infants so I squat and get up and down from the floor often. The pain is dull,random, and only last for less than a minute and feels better after I move around. When this happens my knee feels like it is going to give out and fortunately that hasn't actually happened yet. At work I didn't notice a pattern of when it occurs but at home I noticed it came about when I get up from the couch but is less painful when I do that. There is no bruising or swelling anywhere on my knee or leg. I am just wondering what this could be and if it is worth going to the doctor to get checked out if it proceeds.

A:   Yes, I do believe your condition you are having is worth checking out. For the meantime, if possible, try not to run or walk fast, refrain from walking up or down the stairs and do not flex the affected knee. Immobilize your knee until you see a doctor. You may try getting an over-the-counter knee brace to avoid unnecessary movements of your knee. This will prevent the condition from worsening. I wish you well always. Take care.