Knee pain when I sit in the same position for fifteen minutes?

Patient

Q: Hi!

I have knee pain that comes out of nowhere when I'm sitting in the same position for about 15 minutes. It's a burning, sharp pain around my kneecap, hard to tell exactly well because it radiates. But I'm thinking just above the kneecap and around it. No pain in the back of my knee. I have to hold my breath and move my leg (which hurts like hell and I have shortness of breath) and the pain starts to dull and goes away in about a minute. If I'm not stretching my legs while sitting it happens again and again. If I don't sleep right the pain wakes me up at night. I have this everyday and any time I'm not stretching my legs. It only happens between November - March, I've never had it in summer.

I'm 21, female and I had this for over 3 years now. I weigh 111 pounds so I don't think it has something to do with my weight. I've never done any sports activity that requires extra effort. It didn't start after an injury. It's excruciatingly painful and unnecessary, lately whenever I have to go upstairs even putting that kind of weight on my knee hurts.

I went to see a doctor four times for this over the years, they took x-rays, asked me questions, gave me ibuprofen and told me to come back if it repeats. I'd just like to know why this happens. It's making me very frustrated.

Thank you so much for your answers.

Doctor