Knee pain when sitting at the theatre

Patient: Here is my situation. When sitting in the theaters and bleachers at school my knees will start to hurt and unless i can stretch them it just keeps getting worse. When running i will get pains right below my knee cap. I play tennis and it is painful to play and do the sprints in practice along with the foot speed drills.

Doctor: Knee pain is the most common presentation of patellofemoral syndrome in young and active people. The pain typically is l ocated behind the kneecap and often shows during activities that require knee flexion and forceful contraction of the quadriceps (ei, during squats, ascending/descending stairs or pendants). Pain may be worsen by sitting with the knee flexed for a long period of time, such as while watching a movie, hence leading to the terms theatre sign and movie-goers knee. The causes are diverse: Overuse (repetitive use or activity), overloading, and misuse of the patellofemoral joint.The suggested strategy for conservative treatment should be as follows: Physical therapy program (exercises and pain control with TENS, ultrasound, ice packs after exercises), anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e.: Aleve, Advil), education of the patient so he/she understands which activities avoid because those can aggravate patellofemoral syndrome.Also,and very important, remark the need for extended adherence to the exercise regimen. Your physical therapist should educate you about a home exercise program Allow time for these conservative measures (i.e.: exercise program) to have an effect, usually 4-6 weeks is adequate for some resolution of symptoms.

Guest: i have the same problem. hope it works