Knee pain when started playing baseball again

Q: I was very active during high school. I played football, basketball, and baseball about a year ago. Since then I have not been very active. I am 5'10 and weighed 185 pounds during high school but most of that weight was muscle. I now weigh 205 pounds and most of that is fat. Recently I started playing baseball again and I have had pain in the front of my hip, the back of my knee, and the left side of my ankle. This is all on my left leg. Before I paid to go to see a doctor I wanted to get medical advice from you. Is this just because I am just becoming active again, or should I be concerned I have something wrong with me leg?

A:   We know for a fact that sustained overweight and lack of exercise can cause problems in the weight bearing joints like Hips, Knees, and Ankles also the Lumbar Spine, then in the case that you are overweight, the suggested strategy should be: consult a nutritionist or dietitian to help you to lose weight and for the pain management: you can take anti inflammatory medications (“Aleve”, “Motrin”) and also you can try physical therapy. As soon as you begin to lose weight, the pain should improve. Combine the prescribed diet along with a consistent exercise routine  for example, you can use the treadmill at your own pace for about 10 to 20 minutes daily or at least 3 times a week, but every person is different and most likely the exercise routine should be customized for each case in particular. Be moderate when starting a recreational activity; try not to be a “weekend warrior” because there is a very well described entity in the medical literature called: Overuse Syndrome, which can affect any part of the body that is over stressed with movements or activities in a repetitive way, including occupational, recreational, and habitual activities. Repetition is part of the definition of overuse injury. The concept is that overuse injury is associated with repeated challenge without sufficient recovery time, and this is true for Body Building, Running, Jogging or any other sport or activity in which you exceed the guidelines and your own limits or capacities. So a daily healthy exercise routine besides the standard guidelines should be customized for each particular individual.