Knee pain while making an effort in squatted position

Q: I have had previous issues with knee pain, but tonight things got alot different, I was moving something at work while in a squatted position, and felt a pop, now i feel tingling down the back of my calf, and there is pinpoint pain to the touch whenever i put pressure on the spot where my tibia meets my knee, and immense pain when i stand or sit, mostly during bending, and still quite uncomfotable when i sit or stand, what may have happened and what would be a good solution? there is a great deal of swelling in the area.

A:    Knee pain is the most common presentation of patellofemoral syndrome or Chondromalacia Patella in young and active people. The pain typically is located behind the kneecap and often shows during activities that require knee flexion and forceful contraction of the quadriceps (e.g, during squats, ascending/descending stairs or pendants). Pain may be worsen by sitting with the knee flexed for a long period of time, such as while watching a movie, hence leading to the terms "theatre sign" and "movie-goer's knee." Also “grinding” and “clicking” may be present. The causes are diverse: Overuse (repetitive use or activity), overloading, and misuse of the patellofemoral joint. The suggested strategy for conservative treatment should be as follows: Physical therapy program (exercises and pain control with TENS, ultrasound, ice packs after exercises), anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e.: “Aleve”, “Advil”), educate you about which activities avoid because those can aggravate patellofemoral syndrome. Also, and very important, remark the need for extended adherence to the exercise regimen. Your physical therapist should educate you about a home exercise program. Please, allow time for these conservative measures (e.g: exercise program) to have an effect, usually 4-6 weeks is adequate for some resolution of symptoms. If the knee pain persists after practice these conservative measures I recommend to consult a Sports medicine doctor or Orthopedic surgeon.