Knee pain with popping.

Q: I have been having mild knee pain in my right when kneeling for about 2 weeks. I don't recall an injury. It also pops on a regular basis. I don't work Im a stay at home mom and my only exercise is playing with my kids. I also don't do a lot of squatting or kneeling. Is there cause for concern?

Symptoms:  Popping, mild pain, very small amount of swelling

A:   Thank you for your question. This 'popping' sensation in your knee is referred to as crepitus. This occurs when synovial fluid, a clear semi-viscous fluid which lubricates the knee joint, suddenly shifts within knee joint. Normally, this is not a cause for concern however you are experiencing pain and swelling which could be due to inflammation within the knee joint. This could be caused by the development of osteoarthritis of the knee joint. We recommend that you have your doctor examine the knee and have an x ray or MRI performed of the kneed to determine the cause of this swelling and crepitius. If diagnosed with osteoarthritis, you will likely be prescribed medication to treat the swelling and pain, as well as be started on physiotherapy maintain the range of motion of the knee.

Thank you for consulting