Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Knee pain with popping

Knee pain with popping

Patient: I injured my knee about 3 years ago and when i got it looked at originally all they could tell me was that it was inflamed on the inside, along with bruising and pain. so i went on crutches and a sturdy knee brace for 2 weeks. after several months i ended up buying a knee compression support sleeve to help with the poping. It was helpful untill this past week. I started using it again last thursday after it popped badly at the movies, and one it had popped that time it was painful to walk on it. these past few days iv felt like something above my knee cap was pulling which made it painful even when resting. I dont know what i did to it. what do you suggest?

Symptoms: Popping, something pulling above knee cap, pain, discomfort

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.You seem to be suffering from Knee ligament injury or Acute Musc ular Pain.I would advise you to get following investigations done:1. MRI Knee2. Serum Calcium and Vitamin D levels.3. ESR, CRPI would advise following for knee pain:1. To do knee and quadriceps strengthening exercises.2. To do hot fomentation of the knee3. Apply diclofenac ointment locally4. To take Pain killers like Diclofenac only if the pain is severe and there are no contraindications for their use.5. Don’t climb stairs, avoid bucket holding.6. Don’t sit in squatting positionShare my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy