Knee pains after a long days work

Patient

Q: Hello, I am 20 years old and I have been working a retail job for the past 9 month, I am the main cashier so I stand at my till all day without moving from that area too much. I have been experiencing knee pains in both of my knees since I have started this job they will hurt when I sit down after a long day of work and will be very painful when I try to get back up again after wards, I also have very bad pains and my knees are almost impossible to straighten after a nights rest when it was hurting the night before. I have never had problems with my knees and I have worked in retail previously before this job.

Symptoms:  Knee pains, hip pains, back pains
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that your prolonged standing has has lead to the development of inflammation of your knee joints. This inflammation could be a result of strain on the tendons and ligaments of the knees. If you are not wearing adequately cushioned footwear, this can lead to the develop pain in the knees and hips. It is important that you try to take breaks when possible when standing for prolonged periods of time. We would like you to have your knees examined by your doctor to make sure that you do not require some time away from work or to placed on light duties, while your knees take time to recover.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com