Knee problems

Q: Hello,

I am having problems with my knee. If i am sitting down in an up right position with my knee bent at a 90 degree angle and I straighten my leg as i return it to the bent position i can hear sort of a grinding or popping sound. I first noticed something was wrong with my knee when I was playing basketball and I went to make an explosive move off of that leg and a felt a pain in my knee as well as my knee sort of giving out on me. I can barely do leg extensions with any weight and my knee an leg shakes like crazy as I try to lift even low amounts of weight. I have no insurance and can't really afford to see a specialist about the problem, so I jus wanted to know what could be the problem with my knee?

P.S. There is no swelling and there is no pain except if i try to push off of that leg.