Kneecap Pulsates Often

Q: I feel like the top of my knee caps are pulsating. Any idea what it might be?

Symptoms:  I can feel my knee caps pulsating when I touch them.

A:   Thank you for your question. The sensation you are feeling in your patellar region (knee cap) could be due to the development of a bursa. A bursa is a fluid filled cavity which normally functions to facilitate the smooth movement of tendons over bone. These bursas can eventually enlarge and become painfully swollen. It may be possible that you are developing a bursa which is causing this pulsating sensation. We recommend that you have your doctor perform a careful examination of this area in order to determine if you require further treatment or diagnostic imaging to help elucidate the cause of this sensation. If diagnosed, bursitis may be managed by regular observation by your doctor or they may need to be surgically removed. Please seek your doctor.

Thank you for consulting