Kneecaps pain when bending and sometimes with knee locking

Q: Hello, My name is mackenzie and i have been having knee pain for about a year. I am really athletic and i tend to do alot of running, but when ever i play sports i get a sharp pain in my kneecaps and it hurts to bend and unstraighten the knee. After soccer games, sometimes my knees lock. I have tried icing them elevating them but nothing seems to work or help fix the pain. Can you maybe tell me what to do of what is wrong! thanks for your help! -Mackenzie.

A:    Knee pain is the most common presentation of patellofemoral syndrome The pain typically is located behind/under the kneecap and often shows during activities that require knee flexion and forceful contraction of the quadriceps (e.g, during squats, bicycle, ascending/descending stairs or pendants). Pain may be worsen by sitting with the knee flexed for a long period of time, such as while watching a movie, hence leading to the terms "theatre sign" and "movie-goer's knee." The causes are diverse: Overuse (repetitive use or activity), overloading, and misuse of the patellofemoral joint. The suggested strategy for conservative treatment should be as follows: Physical therapy program (exercises and pain control with TENS, ultrasound, ice packs after exercises), anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “Aleve”, “Advil”), education  so  you understand which activities avoid because those can aggravate patellofemoral syndrome. Also, and very important, remark the need for extended adherence to the exercise regimen. The physical therapist should educate you about a home exercise program Allow time for these conservative measures (e.g.: exercise program) to have an effect , usually 4-6 weeks is adequate for some resolution of symptoms.