Knot in the upper right calf: DVT?

Q: I feel a hard knot on my upper right calf (inner calf). It seems to be near a vein. could it be a clot? If so, how fast do clots travel? I just discovered it last night and took aspirin. There was a bruise in that area last week. I also get tachycardia or a flutter from time to time ever since I was a kid. Would a clot have any effect on this?

A:   Deep venous thrombosis (DVT) refers to a blood clot embedded in one of the major deep veins of the lower legs, thighs, or pelvis. A clot blocks blood circulation through these veins, which carries blood from the lower body back to the heart. The blockage can cause pain, swelling, or warmth in the affected leg. Blood clots in the veins can cause inflammation (irritation) called thrombophlebitis. Severe complications of deep vein thrombosis occur when a clot breaks loose (or embolizes) and travels through the bloodstream, causing blockage of blood vessels (pulmonary arteries) in the lung, called Pulmonary Embolism, this can lead to severe difficulty in breathing and even death, depending on the degree of blockage.If you are smoker, taking contraceptive pills or have had in the past, history of DVTyou have to be given the prophylactic measures and monitored closely in case that might repeat. Also besides palpitations, there are other accompanying symptoms in a DVT as pain, shortness of breath, in the case that the DVT had lead to a Pulmonary Embolism (PE).