Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > L4,L5 narrow disk spacing also 5 months pregnant.

L4,L5 narrow disk spacing also 5 months pregnant.

Patient: Could narrow disk spacing cause harm during natural child birth? I have a narrow disk spacing between my L4 & L5 i’ve lived with this problem for the past 6 years now the pain comes and goes but I sometimes suffer with back spasms which makes it hard for me to walk to times. I am now 5 months pregnant and fear that my back problem may make it hard for me to handle the weight of my pregnancy and very hard for childbirth my question is should I try to have a natural child birth or look into a c-section?

Symptoms: Lower back pain 24/7. numbing sore pain making it hard to stand or walk for long periods or to even bend at times.

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.Slit pelvis and short pelvis are obstracle to normal vaginal delivery.Your gynaeco logist will accesses the size of pelvis clinically and with Ultrasound Pelvis. If the size would be small you would require regular follow up near the delivery time. If head of baby engages you can be given a trial of normal labour other wise you would require caesarian section.I hope it helps .Stay Healthy !