Lab results white blood cell count

Patient : I just had blood work and had a wbc count of 12.9 and my absolute neutrophils was 8,643. I have high wbc counts before and saw a hematologist who did several test of the course of a few months nothing was found. I am wondering if these levels are/ can be caused by the fact that am a smoker
Symptoms:  None
Doctor :   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. Transient rise in WBC counts can be seen in any infection. You might be suffering fr om some infection at the time when you were investigated. Smoking doesn't directly affects the WBC count in blood but yes it does effects indirectly. Important here is to get them repeated. If they are still high you would require a bone marrow with biopsy to make the diagnosis. In case it has been performed already and is normal I don't think any further work up is required. I hope it helps. Stay Healthy.